Search This Blog

Sunday 19 July 2015

Miette


  

After my "Lilou" dress last summer I finally got around to sewing another of Tilly's lovely patterns: the "Miette" skirt. 

I still had this patterned print fabric from South Africa in my stash and thought this would be perfect for this skirt. I especially liked the appliqué pockets but, ironically, there wasn't enough fabric and I had to skip the pockets this time. 

It's a wrap-around style skirt so it was interesting in terms of constructions - I think I ended up confusing the two side panels and I'm not sure if I actually sewed them together the right way round. But the end result looks like a skirt, that's enough for me. 

I shortened the pattern quite a bit but according to Emily's advice I took out some fabric in the middle, which is very clever because you don't distort the overall shape. I had to improvise a little bit on the waistband and the tie because the fabric was really just enough for the basics, not even the tiniest scrap of fabric was wasted. 

The sewing was very straight forward and I managed to do it within a couple of hours (Of course, always longer than you plan but that's a given). I think I spent more time to figure out how to fit the pattern pieces on my limited amount of fabric and improvising where there were a few centimetres missing. 

But in the end I'm happy with the end result, even though the tie is a bit too long so I might still shorten it. And it was ready just in time to wear it for a day out in the park, including open-air concert. "Miette" passed the test!

P.S: No, I don't tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment